1. Hospice Laws, Regulations & Coverage
- Controlled Substance Act - Read the DEA's policy on controlled substances.
- Medicare Hospice Benefits - Describes the very extensive coverage Medicare provides for hospice care.
- New Regulations - Medicare announces new proposed rule to improve hospice care.
- Pain and the Law - Developed by the Center for Health Law Studies at Saint Louis University.
2. Helpful Sites of Other Organizations
- American Bar Association - The American Bar Association Commission on Law and Aging (COLA) is dedicated to examining law and policy issues affecting older persons.
- Caring Connections - The National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization's national consumer engagement initiative to improve care at the end of life.
- Growthhouse - Has an excellent set of links, definitions of terms, and other resources regarding end-of-life care and decision-making.
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys - A non-profit association that assists lawyers, bar organizations and others who work with older clients and their families
3. Resources on Advance Directives
- Aging with Dignity - Provides practical information, advice and legal tools you need to ensure your wishes and those of your loved ones will be respected.
- American Bar Association - A Consumer's Tool Kit for Health Care Advance Planning from the American Bar Association Commission on Law and Aging.
- FamilyDoctor.org - Information about advance directives and other relevant issues such as artificial nutrition and hydration, and CPR.
- Hospice Net - A page of definitions and Frequently Asked Questions on advance directives.
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization - Provides free state-specific advance directive documents and instructions that can be opened as a PDF file.
4. Educational Materials
- A Legal Guide to Life-Limiting Conditions - Published by the American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA), this guide provides an overview of the key legal and practical issues that arise in the care of individuals who face a life-limiting condition or who care for a loved one with a life-limiting condition.
- Center for Practical Bioethics - Offers Caring Conversations, a consumer education initiative that helps individuals and their families share meaningful conversation while making practical preparations for end-of-life decisions.